Friday, April 17, 2009

Island Travel Part Two: 5 Beach Must-Haves

~~~So now that you've secured your passport let's get you ready to become an international jet-setter! Here are the 5 things you must have for a day at the beach. Let's just call it our "Survival Kit"...


#1 Fabulous Bathing Suit -
Ladies the most important thing about the beach is having fun in the sun. If your suit is too tight, too loose, or has to be tied so tight behind your neck it's causing a headache - you need a new suit. One that properly fits your body. Now this may require the most time to find so that's why it's first on the list. A few things to remember... 1) One size does not fit all! 2) Go for mix and match pieces that are funky and stylish. It's perfectly okay to buy a Small top and a Medium bottom if that's what fits. 3) A flattering one-piece will always be in style. 4) Try to stay fashion forward. No need to look like a grandma while on the sunny beaches of St. Tropez. Pictured is my own personal suit which can be found at Target for $30
The suit pictured left works great for a fuller figure. The rouching on the side can be adjusted for a higher or lower bottom. The bra strap also adjusts to support a fuller bust. Available @ Victorias Secret for $69





****** UPDATE*****

Here are a few options available in Sizes 16W-24W...
#1) Newport News Swimdress (love, love, love the color!) $44
#2) Delta Burke Swimdress JCPenney- adjustable sides for higher or lower bottom $64.99
#3) Obxsunwear - Christina Tank Top with side Rouching $55
#4) Torrid - Black Ruched Swim Short $34
#2 Canvas Travel/Day Bag -
Something large enough to carry all the miscellaneous/can't live without items for your day. I prefer a lined canvas material in case it gets wet. Make sure it has zipper pockets for your wallet & sunglasses. Keep it light and simple. Nothing feels worse than carrying around an over-filled tote bag while trying to sight see. LL Bean has plenty of cute options for under $35.



#3 Comfortable/Cute Sandals -
I know I know... Old Navy sells flip flops 2/$5 but must we really be seen walking the streets of Ochos Rios in those cheap shower shoes? If you're looking for a cute money saving option check out K-Mart. I recently bought 2 pair of the cutest sandals for only $15 each!!! I walked several hours in both pair while on my recent vacay to Grand Cayman Island and I have no complaints. I even got a few compliments from other tourists.



#4 Hat - Yes, ladies, you must combat the sun in every way possible (that includes sunscreen). The sun can not only do major damage to your skin, but your hair also. And even more important than that... Straw floppy hats are extremely chic. Yes!!! It is essential to look cute while having fun. I can't stress that enough :-)
I searched and searched and searched some more for the cutest, biggest & most affordable floppy straw hat I could find on eBay! I found this Tan/White 8" Wide Large Brim Floppy Beach Straw Hat. This hat was lightweight & airy, easy to pack into my suitcase and looked amazing on the beach. Only $24+ shipping at Luxury Divas. It gets a Fab 5 stars***** in my book.


#5 Waterproof Mascara -
I'm just saying~ You must be fabulous at all times. Even after snorkeling... Is there a woman alive who doesn't look and feel prettier after applying mascara? Really?! So I tried a few different brands and Maybelline was the winner. I'm sure you could find a more expensive brand that works well too (not sure why you would want to), but when traveling (especially internationally) never take your most expensive possessions. Bags get lost- things get broken. So for the quality and price this mascara wins.


*** A few other small things you may not want to forget:***
* quart size ziplock bags - for wet suits and what-nots
* travel size baby wipes
* 100% UVP sunglasses
* lots of sunscreen - yes even for women of color!!
* bronzer - 'cause nothing looks better than a wonderful glow in warm weather
* cute beach cover-up

Any other suggestions?? Feel free to leave a comment.
Till the next time...

5 comments:

  1. Do you have any suggestions on suits for the Plus Sized Woman? I like the idea of the ruching on the side that can be adjusted for a higher or lower bottom and the adjustable bra strap on the Victoria Secret example. However, I'm not sure if they carry plus size clothing.

    Just wondering if you know of any other sites or stores because I am on the hunt for a swimsuit to wear this summer during a family reunion at the beach. You know its nothing worse than the comments from family members and I want to be cute and "in order" during the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lajade,
    I hope you find the options listed above helpful. Obxsunwear had a lot of cute options but I would suggest you try on your swimsuit before purchasing. Unless I've previously bought clothing from a certain retailer and I'm sure of the fit, I don't usually buy clothes online.
    Also keep in mind while bargain shopping...a good tailor can work miracles!
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You. I love the blue one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah...before I can get the swimsuit I need to get the beach body. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilie,
    Your body is the beach body! I expect to see you with a tan this summer :-)

    ReplyDelete