Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Island Travel Part 1: Book a Vacation!



Want to make the most out of this recession? Take a vacation!! No seriously... With the economy in the pits, travel costs are at an all-time low. If you're a mileage rewards member with any of the major airline carriers, sign up for email alerts. You will be the first to know of any upcoming flight deals. That's how I found my birthday vacation deal. US Airways offered flights for the month of April round trip from Charlotte to the Grand Cayman Islands for $160+ taxes/fees!! I'm a frequent flyer with US Airways b/c the company's largest hub is in Charlotte. Which means most likely I will have multiple flight choices to/from my destination for a reasonable price. This also comes in handy when you miss your flight ;-) FYI... Delta's largest hub is in Atlanta, American Airlines' hub in Dallas/Ft Worth, and the major Northwest hub is in Detroit. If you like to do price comparisons I would suggest Farecast. They have a tracking tool that estimates the flight prices over a set amount of time. Maybe you were planning to travel in August, but if you use the fare tracker you may find that September is cheaper.

So after telling everyone and their grandma about my flight deal, I came across another vacation money saver. Do you know anyone who works for a major hotel chain? Discounts can sometimes be offered to friends and family members of hotel employees. Using the F&F discount I saved almost 50% off my hotel costs! Also think about becoming a rewards member with a hotel chain like Hilton or Marriott. Emails are usually sent on a monthly basis that contain great hotel deals and discounts.
And it never hurts to check out a vacation club or your local travel agency. US Airways vacations club (according to my email;-) is currently running a special with Holiday Inn Sunspree in Aruba and Montego Bay for less than $500 pp. Holiday Inn Sunspree in Montego Bay is all-inclusive and is well worth the money spent. I visited in 2003 for the 1st Annual Jump off-n-Jamaica, and I highly recommend this hotel. The food was delicious!! According to the website they have undergone a multi-million dollar renovation so I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Condo rentals are a great option when taking the whole fam or 4 or more people. They offer more space and usually come equipped with full kitchens, a money saver when considering 3 meals a day.
Call your girls and start making plans today!! Stay tuned for Part Two: Island Travel Survival Kit
Till the next time... Check out these fly travelistas!

No comments:

Post a Comment